A lot of couples dream of having their own twins. Having twins can be considered a wonderful blessing. There is no proven way to make sure that you will conceive a twin. Most of the time, it runs in the family when talking about fraternal ones. Identical twins are not passed from one generation to another.
There are many possible causes why some women are able to conceive twins. Some of the most common reasons are the following:
- Release of multiple eggs in more than one ovulation
- A fertilized egg splits into two
- In cases of IVF or In Vitro Fertilization, there are times when more than 1 fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus.
According to some researchers, there are some simple ways in order to increase the chance of having twins such as the following:
- Eating fertility foods such as yams, cheese, butter and milk. According to a study by Dr. Gary Steinman, a woman who consumes high amount of dairy product can increase her chances of conceiving a twin by as much as 5 times. Women should also consume whole grains, beans and vegetables which are all high in complex carbohydrates. Also, taking folic acid supplements is said to be helpful. You may also just consume foods high in folic acid if supplements are not available.
- Altering your lifestyle- A healthy woman has a higher chance of conceiving a twin compared to a woman who is generally unhealthy. It is best to have a balanced diet and to avoid smoking and drinking too much.
- Breastfeed- If you are contemplating to have another baby and wishing for a twin, it is best to breastfeed your child. It can increase your chance of conceiving a baby (and this time, twins) and it can boost your child’s immune system.
Conceiving a twin depends on many factors. This is according to the scientific approach of the issue. Although, if it is not contraindicated, you may try the tips listed above. Just make sure that you are ready emotionally, physically and financially before conceiving.