The first trimester is defined as the first three months of pregnancy. According to medical experts, it is the most critical part of the whole pregnancy experience. It is the time in which the major organs and systems of the fetus are formed. The first trimester is also the time of different profound changes. Because of the changes a woman can experience, it can sometimes be overwhelming. It is therefore important to know what symptoms to expect during this time.
- Morning sickness– This is one of the most common symptoms during the first trimester. Nausea and morning sickness can be experienced as early as three weeks after conception. It is caused by the increasing levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. To combat morning sickness, it is best to have small frequent meals throughout the day. It is also helpful to increase fluid intake, unless contraindicated.
- Lower abdominal cramps– This can be experienced a week after ovulation. Cramping may also be accompanied by spotting. To minimize cramping, calcium supplements may be ordered by the doctor.
- Food cravings and aversions- A large number of pregnant women experience intense food cravings and aversions. Healthy cravings are considered to be alright. If the craving is unhealthy, it is best not to give in to the temptation.
- Mood swings– This is a result of hormonal changes during pregnancy. It is best to have the support system to lessen stress and to be able to voice out any emotions.
- Swollen and tender breasts– Also because of hormonal changes, the pregnant woman may also have fuller and heavier breasts. It is best to use supportive bra if possible.
- 6. Increased urination– The increasing size of the uterus may bring about frequent urination. The woman should maintain proper hygiene to avoid UTI or urinary tract infection.
- 7. Constipation– Increasing the fiber in the diet may help relieve constipation. It is also helpful to increase fluid intake, unless contraindicated.
- Heartburn- In order to avoid heartburns, pregnant women should avoid carbonated drinks and fried foods. Small frequent meals are also usually advised.
- Fatigue– Because of the different changes the body is undergoing; fatigue is very common during the first trimester. It is best to rest whenever possible to avoid over-fatigue.
Pregnancy can be a very fun experience if the woman knows what to expect. The symptoms listed above are just some of the symptoms a pregnant woman may experience. However, it is important to note that the pregnancy experience may be unique from one woman to another.